2020 Aged Care Workforce Census Report
The Federal Government today releases the 2020 Aged Care Workforce Census Report.
It points to a significant increase in the number of direct carers working across the industry since 2016, efforts by providers to secure more nursing staff and a workforce that is increasingly better skilled.
The census also reveals the age care sector is succeeding in its efforts to attract younger employees.
The Aged Care Workforce Census is conducted every four years to provide a periodic overview of the aged care workforce.
Key findings in the latest data show:
- a 32 per cent increase in the number of direct care workers in residential aged care facilities since the last census in 2016;
- 89 per cent of residential aged care facilities report having a registered nurse on duty or on call overnight;
- 66 per cent of personal care workers in residential aged care facilities hold a certificate III or higher in a relevant direct care field, with a further two per cent studying at the time
- in the Home Care Packages Program, this proportion was just above 60 per cent, while in the Commonwealth Home Support Programme this was just above 70 per cent; and
- a workforce which continues to get younger, with half of all residential aged care and just under a third of the Home Care Packages Program and Commonwealth Home Support Programme direct care workforce under the age of 40.
Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care Services, Richard Colbeck said the census results also underlined the negative impacts of pandemic on workforce including a drop in the number of volunteers in residential aged care facilities since 2016.
“Volunteers play an important role in reducing the social isolation for senior Australians, particularly those living at home,” he said.
The census was conducted in late 2020 with providers of residential aged care, Home Care Packages Program and Commonwealth Home Support Programme, through an online questionnaire.
The 2020 Aged Care Workforce Census Report can be found on the Australian Government Department of Health website https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/2020-aged-care-workforce-census.
2 September 2021.