Kitchen fire injures elderly woman

An elderly woman was taken to hospital following a kitchen fire in St Clair NSW earlier today.

 

Firefighters arrived at the house on Pyramus Street at 8.15am, shortly after they received a Triple Zero call, and were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

 

However, the occupant was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation.

 

Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) reminds people to remain vigilant while cooking.

 

“Kitchen fires make up 49 per cent of household fires attended by Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters each year,” said Commissioner Greg Mulllins.

 

“These fires can quickly get out of control and put the entire property at risk, not to mention the risk of injury to you or your family.

 

“Never leave cooking unattended – irrespective of it being in a kitchen, outside on a barbeque or even an outside kitchen oven; keep a fire blanket or portable fire extinguisher nearby.“

 

Have a home escape plan in case of fire and practice it regularly.

 

“Most importantly, have an adequate number of smoke alarms installed throughout your home and make sure that you test them regularly. In case of fire, dial 000,” said Commissioner Mullins.

 

Fire & Rescue NSW, in partnership with sponsor GIO, encourage householders to complete an online Home Fire Safety Audit at: www.homefiresafetyaudit.com.au.

 

17 January 2012.