Living with dementia support funding
The Federal Government will provide a further $40 million in grants to better support people living with dementia.
Applications are now open under the National Dementia Support Program for funding from 2019-20 to 2021-22.
Funding of $36 million will support education programs, services and resources to improve interactions between people living with dementia and those around them.
This could include projects to raise awareness and understanding about dementia, and increase the skills and confidence of people living with dementia, their carers, families, health professionals, volunteers, and contacts within their communities.
Grants may also be used to:
- support primary health care practitioners, including GPs, to improve early diagnosis of dementia;
- reduce stigma about dementia which can exist in the community
- support people and families at or after the diagnosis of dementia
- provide culturally appropriate education and information on dementia and support services for people, families and carers from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This funding includes $5 million to Dementia Australia to enable the organisation to continue to provide its services for five months to 30 November 2019 while the grant process is undertaken.
The remaining $4 million focuses on the use of innovative technology for people living with dementia.
The grants will aim to:
- assist people living with dementia to sustain their independence and remain in their own homes for longer
- improve the quality of life of people living with dementia in both home and residential aged care
- support families and carers to develop skills and strategies for caring.
Earlier this month, the Government announced funding for a world-first national network of specialist care units for patients with severe dementia. At full roll out, funding of $70 million a year will support more than 30 specialist care units to provide best practice person-centred care for these vulnerable people.
Applications for the National Dementia Support Program can be downloaded from the GrantConnect website by searching for GO1777 at http://www.grants.gov.au/
14 March 2011.