Residential Aged Care Inquiry commences

The Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care and Sport has commenced an Inquiry into the Quality of Care in Residential Aged Care Facilities in Australia.


Over 175 000 Australians live in permanent residential aged care. The Australian Government monitors the quality of care provided to aged care residents through the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency, which accredits and reviews aged care facilities, and the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, which resolves complaints about government funded services.


The Committee Chair, Mr Trent Zimmerman MP, stated that ‘the Committee will be examining Australia’s residential aged care system, in particular, the quality of care and services provided to aged care residents.


The Committee will also consider the consumer protections available for aged care residents, including those who do not have family members to help them exercise their rights.’


The Standing Committee terms of reference require it to inquire into and report on:

  1. The incidence of all mistreatment of residents in residential aged care facilities and associated reporting and response mechanisms, including the treatment of whistle blowers;
  2. The effectiveness of the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency, the Aged Care Complaints Commission, and the Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities in ensuring adequate consumer protection in residential aged care; and
  3. The adequacy of consumer protection arrangements for aged care residents who do not have family, friends or other representatives to help them exercise choice and their rights in care.


Submissions from interested individuals and organisations are invited by Thursday, 8 February 2018.


The preferred method of receiving submissions is by electronic format lodged online using a My Parliament account - .


Further information about the inquiry, including the full terms of reference and details on how to lodge a submission are available on the Committees website at:


The Committee is unable to investigate individual cases, if you have concerns about the treatment of a resident or the quality of service provided in an aged care facility please contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner on 1800 550 552 or the relevant organisation in your state or territory below.


Australian Capital Territory

Older Persons Abuse Prevention Referral and Information Line

02 6205 3535

New South Wales

NSW Elder Abuse Helpline

1800 628 221

Northern Territory

Northern Territory Police

131 444


Elder Abuse Prevention Unit

1300 651 192

South Australia

Aged Rights Advocacy Service Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse

08 8232 5377 (Adelaide) 1800 700 600 (rural)


Elder Abuse Helpline

1800 441 169


Senior Rights Victoria

1300 368 821

Western Australia

Advocare Inc.

1300 724 679 (Perth) 1800 655 566 (rural)


8 December 2017.